The Mobility Data Space is the data sharing community for everyone who is looking to build the future of mobility. It aims to facilitate competition around innovative, environmentally sustainable, and user-friendly mobility concepts by giving all users equal and transparent access to relevant data. Within the Mobility Data Space, all users enjoy unique opportunities to benefit of the added-value potential of their data. Participating in the Mobility Data Space is free of charge until 2024.
In the Mobility Data Space, data is shared that promotes the development of forward-looking mobility services - based on high standards of data protection and data security "Made in Europe".
Data is the key resource of our time. The Mobility Data Space creates a network for the mobility community to share data. This is how innovative and intelligent products and services for the mobility of the future are created.
The Mobility Data Space is open to everyone who wants to set things in motion: From major vehicle manufacturers to ride-share services, from public transport operators to navigation software companies, from research institutes to bike-sharing companies.
Transparency and sovereignty
All users access the Mobility Data Space on the same terms and conditions. Providers and purchasers of data are free to determine the specific terms and conditions of their transaction agreement.
- The data owner is free to decide on who to sell the data to and at what price Data is shared directly between the contractual partners.
- Therefore, the data providers always know who use their data.
- The reference architecture of the International Data Space (IDS), developed by the International Data Space Association (IDSA), provides the technical framework for the Mobility Data Space. This software architecture is interoperable (compatible) with various additional data spaces in the GAIA-X domain. There is no technical “lock-in effect”.
One-stop shop for mobility data
The Mobility Data Space can offer a wide range of mobility data: From current weather updates to roadworks and air quality. Furthermore, it is compatible with other data spaces.
- In addition to the data that its users provide, the Mobility Data Space offers access to data offered by the National Access Point for Mobility Data. This includes information on roadworks and truck parking spaces along motorways and highways.
- In addition, the Mobility Data Space is interoperable with other data spaces, for instance additional European data spaces and those operated under the umbrella of the GAIA-X domain.
- Users therefore have the opportunity to access data from multiple data spaces in the future, thereby enjoying a high degree of scalability.
Accessing the Mobility Data Space is easy and transparent. Users can therefore focus on what is essential: Developing innovative mobility products and services.
- Using the Mobility Data Space is simple and follows transparent rules.
- Everything users need to share data is a standard and easy-to-configure connector.
- Once connected, users have full access to the data catalog – the centerpiece of the Mobility Data Space.
In line with the principle “Security by Design”, the Mobility Data Space was designed decentralized, with the data residing with the users. Only the data catalogue is stored centrally.
- The Mobility Data Space complies with antitrust legislation, the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as well as the European directives on the Data Governance Act (DGA), the Digital Service Act (DSA) and the Digital Markets Act (DMA).
- In accordance with the principle of “Security by Design”, the Mobility Data Space has been designed in a decentralized manner, and data is held by its users. Only the data catalog itself is stored centrally.
- To extensively consider data protection requirements, the German Federal Commissioner for Data Protection was part of the project.
Users benefit of the full added value
The Mobility Data Space will be free of charge until 2024. This means that all added value remains with the users.
- From 2024 onwards, the fee of using the Mobility Data Space will be comparatively low.
- This is possible since the Mobility Data Space is operated by a non-profit organisation.
„Für den Mobilitätssektor setzen wir auf zwei Säulen: Über die Plattform Mobilithek werden vor allem offene und auf gesetzlicher Grundlage veröffentlichte Daten verfügbar gemacht.
Daneben bieten wir mit dem ‚Mobility Data Space‘ eine Plattform, auf der Mobilitätsdaten unter Wahrung von Eigentumsrechten sicher und transparent geteilt werden können. Erste Anwendungen aus diesem Datenraum starten bereits.“
Bundesminister für Digitales und Verkehr Volker Wissing.
The current weather affects which mobility option we choose, how crowded roads and means of transportation are, and how safely we get to our destination. Linking weather data with other applications holds great potential for user-friendly and safe mobility.
Access to infrastructure data and maps is essential for various aspects of mobility: from smart traffic light control to the charging infrastructure for e-mobility and multimodal mobility offerings.
Road safety data
The number of accidents can be reduced if data on hazards identified by vehicles is analyzed, traffic management is adapted accordingly, and road users are warned.
Combining environmental data with other information – such as the degree of road utilization – creates new opportunities to make mobility more environmentally friendly and cities more liveable.
Forum & Events
The Mobility Data Space Community Forum is a venue for innovative presentations and personal exchanges for anyone who wants to make a difference for the future of mobility using data. Members can share their knowledge here and benefit from the experiences of others.
Always up to date on the latest developments: Forum members have the opportunity to participate in interesting lectures and discussions and expand their knowledge.
Meet decision makers, exchange ideas with interesting data carriers and users, learn more about innovative projects and cases: Forum members receive invitations to all exclusive events of the MDS and its partners. The personalized calendar in the forum provides an overview of upcoming events.
Get to know the forum
Become a member now
In November 2019, the German federal government’s “Concerted Action on Mobility” committee decided to build up the Mobility Data Space. More than 200 stakeholders of the German mobility landscape from science, business, and public administration were involved in its conception. acatech – National Academy of Science and Engineering coordinates and oversees this process.
The Mobility Data Space is operated by the LLC “DRM Datenraum Mobilität GmbH”, set up as a non-profit organisation in 2021. Its object is to further develop the Mobility Data Space as a commercial organisation and to ensure its technical progress. acatech is the founding partner of DRM Datenraum Mobilität GmbH.
More than 200 stakeholders from the German mobility landscape from science, industry and public administration worked on the conception of the Mobility Data Space. For long-term operation, acatech – National Academy of Science and Engineering, has transferred the project to the DRM Datenraum Mobilität GmbH as a supporting company (non-profit GmbH), which is also open to cooperation at European level. The MDS is funded by the Federal Ministry for Digital and Transport.
The first Managing Director of the company is acatech Managing Director Manfred Rauhmeier, the second Managing Director is Michael Schäfer.
In addition to the support association of acatech – National Academy of Science and Engineering, shareholders include BMW INTEC Beteiligungs GmbH, Caruso GmbH, Deutsche Bahn Aktiengesellschaft, Deutsche Post AG, HERE Europe B.V., HUK-COBURG Haftpflicht-Unterstützungs-Kasse kraftfahrender Beamter Deutschlands a.G. in Coburg, Mercedes-Benz AG and Volkswagen Group Info Services AG, as well as the states of North Rhine-Westphalia and Baden-Württemberg.
Join the team!
Would you like to actively participate in building the Mobility Data Space and become part of our team? Check out our current open positions!
- IT Project Manager (m/w/d)
- Project Manager New Business (m/w/d)
- Customer-Relationship Manager (m/w/d)
- Business Development / Community Manager (m/w/d)
- Admininstrative Assistant / Office-Management (m/w/d)
- Account-Manager / Customer Success Manager (m/w/d)
- Director Business Development (m/w/d)
- Working Student (m/w/d)
We also look forward to receiving your speculative application:
You are also welcome to call us on the telephone number
+49 (0) 89 / 52 03 09 - 867
To all vacancies of acatech - National Academy of Science and Engineering
The Mobility Data Space invites the entire mobility community to join. If you have any questions about the Mobility Data Space, please contact us at:
80333 Munich, Germany