The Mobility Data Space is the data sharing community for everyone who is looking to build the future of mobility. It aims to facilitate competition around innovative, environmentally sustainable, and user-friendly mobility concepts by giving all users equal and transparent access to relevant data. Within the Mobility Data Space, all users enjoy unique opportunities to benefit of the added-value potential of their data. Participating in the Mobility Data Space is free of charge until 2024.
In the Mobility Data Space, data is shared that promotes the development of forward-looking mobility services - based on high standards of data protection and data security "Made in Europe".
Data is the key resource of our time. The Mobility Data Space creates a network for the mobility community to share data. This is how innovative and intelligent products and services for the mobility of the future are created.
The Mobility Data Space is open to everyone who wants to set things in motion: From major vehicle manufacturers to ride-share services, from public transport operators to navigation software companies, from research institutes to bike-sharing companies.
Transparency and sovereignty
All users access the Mobility Data Space on the same terms and conditions. Providers and purchasers of data are free to determine the specific terms and conditions of their transaction agreement.
- The data owner is free to decide on who to sell the data to and at what price Data is shared directly between the contractual partners.
- Therefore, the data providers always know who use their data.
- The reference architecture of the International Data Space (IDS), developed by the International Data Space Association (IDSA), provides the technical framework for the Mobility Data Space. This software architecture is interoperable (compatible) with various additional data spaces in the GAIA-X domain. There is no technical “lock-in effect”.
One-stop shop for mobility data
The Mobility Data Space can offer a wide range of mobility data: From current weather updates to roadworks and air quality. Furthermore, it is compatible with other data spaces.
- In addition to the data that its users provide, the Mobility Data Space offers access to data offered by the National Access Point for Mobility Data. This includes information on roadworks and truck parking spaces along motorways and highways.
- In addition, the Mobility Data Space is interoperable with other data spaces, for instance additional European data spaces and those operated under the umbrella of the GAIA-X domain.
- Users therefore have the opportunity to access data from multiple data spaces in the future, thereby enjoying a high degree of scalability.
Accessing the Mobility Data Space is easy and transparent. Users can therefore focus on what is essential: Developing innovative mobility products and services.
- Using the Mobility Data Space is simple and follows transparent rules.
- Everything users need to share data is a standard and easy-to-configure connector.
- Once connected, users have full access to the data catalog – the centerpiece of the Mobility Data Space.
In line with the principle “Security by Design”, the Mobility Data Space was designed decentralized, with the data residing with the users. Only the data catalogue is stored centrally.
- The Mobility Data Space complies with antitrust legislation, the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as well as the European directives on the Data Governance Act (DGA), the Digital Service Act (DSA) and the Digital Markets Act (DMA).
- In accordance with the principle of “Security by Design”, the Mobility Data Space has been designed in a decentralized manner, and data is held by its users. Only the data catalog itself is stored centrally.
- To extensively consider data protection requirements, the German Federal Commissioner for Data Protection was part of the project.
Users benefit of the full added value
The Mobility Data Space will be free of charge until 2024. This means that all added value remains with the users.
- From 2024 onwards, the fee of using the Mobility Data Space will be comparatively low.
- This is possible since the Mobility Data Space is operated by a non-profit organisation.
“The Mobility Data Space is a Data Sharing Community. Its potential lies in the alliance of companies that can contribute to safe, environmentally sustainable, and user-friendly mobility options. The advantage for the participants is that the added value remains with them. No major fees are paid to third parties.”
Chair of the Steering Committee of the Mobility Data Space
and President of acatech.
The current weather affects which mobility option we choose, how crowded roads and means of transportation are, and how safely we get to our destination. Linking weather data with other applications holds great potential for user-friendly and safe mobility.
Access to infrastructure data and maps is essential for various aspects of mobility: from smart traffic light control to the charging infrastructure for e-mobility and multimodal mobility offerings.
Road safety data
The number of accidents can be reduced if data on hazards identified by vehicles is analyzed, traffic management is adapted accordingly, and road users are warned.
Combining environmental data with other information – such as the degree of road utilization – creates new opportunities to make mobility more environmentally friendly and cities more liveable.
Munich / Hamburg, October 8, 2021.
Leading mobility providers lay the foundation for collaboration in the Mobility Data Space - first applications will be presented at the ITS World Congress in Hamburg
The Mobility Data Space is the data sharing community for everyone who is looking to build the future of mobility. It aims to facilitate competition around innovative, environmentally sustainable, and user-friendly mobility concepts by giving all users equal and transparent access to relevant data. Within the Mobility Data Space, all users enjoy unique opportunities to benefit of the added-value potential of their data. Are you interested in participating in the Mobility Data Space, but have further questions? Our info sessions are a great place to gain more insight.
We will inform you about:
- Vision and principles of the Mobility Data Space
- Opportunities and principles
- Functionality and requirements
Furthermore, we will address your questions and line out the next steps for participating.
We are looking forward to welcoming you!
In November 2019, the German federal government’s “Concerted Action on Mobility” committee decided to build up the Mobility Data Space. More than 200 stakeholders of the German mobility landscape from science, business, and public administration were involved in its conception. acatech – National Academy of Science and Engineering coordinates and oversees this process.
The Mobility Data Space is operated by the LLC “DRM Datenraum Mobilität GmbH”, set up as a non-profit organisation in 2021. Its object is to further develop the Mobility Data Space as a commercial organisation and to ensure its technical progress. acatech is the founding partner of DRM Datenraum Mobilität GmbH.
More than 200 stakeholders in the German mobility landscape, including research institutions, private businesses, and public administration worked on its conception. acatech – National Academy of Science and Engineering coordinates and oversees this process.
For long-term operation, acatech has transferred the project to the project into the DRM Datenraum Mobilität GmbH as a sponsoring company (non-profit limited liability company), which is also open for cooperation on a European level. Managing director is acatech managing director Manfred Rauhmeier.
Since October 2021, Caruso, Deutsche Deutsche Bahn, Deutsche Post DHL, HERE, HUK-Coburg Versicherung, Mercedes-Benz as well as BMW via the BMW Intec Beteiligungs GmbH and Volkswagen via Volkswagen Group Info Services AG are co-partners. The state of North Rhine-Westphalia joins as a co-shareholder with effect from January 01, 2022. So the sponsoring company will be jointly supported by founding partners from all mobility sectors, and neutrality and independence are guaranteed via acatech is guaranteed.
Join the team!
Would you like to actively participate in building the Mobility Data Space and become part of our team? Check out our current open positions!
- (Senior) Manager Finance & Controlling (m/w/d)
- (Senior) Business Development Manager (m/w/d) (Business Development Consultant)
- (Senior) Manager Strategic Projects (m/w/d) (Referent/in der Geschäftsführung)
- Administrative Assistant (m/w/d)
- Community Manager (m/w/d)
- (Senior) Manager Communication und Public Relations (m/w/d)
The Mobility Data Space invites the entire mobility community to join. If you have any questions about the Mobility Data Space, please contact us at:
80333 Munich, Germany